Thursday, February 10, 2011

Back in the "West"

We left the small, primitive town of Tierradentro, where we spent two days hiking the mountains to see underground tombs from the 3rd to 9th centuries. We stayed at the Hospedaje Lucern, and indeed there was a poster of Lucern, Switzerland inside. Our room there and in San Agustin was OK. The hotel owners were an elderly hobbitlike couple, absolutely adorable.

But we have now been in two hostels, one run by a Scottish couple, one by a Dutch guy, with immaculate kitchens, and smooth, consistent pillows that don't feel like clotted cream. The sheets stay tucked in. I feel like I'm back in the West.

But that's the wrong word. I always was in the West! I'm back in the North American - European - Australian paradigm. I don't know what else to call it, but it sure feels good when my head caresses the pillow at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment